Departs Sandspit Daily at 10:30am
The perfect day trip with so many choices you’ll want to do it over & over again!
Sir George Grey, the third Governor of NZ purchased Kawau Island in 1862 and began establishing a ‘Garden of Eden’ including transforming the old Copper Mine Manager’s house into an imposing mansion.
Wander through the carefully restored Mansion House and admire the many artifacts gleaned from his travels through the Pacific, or marvel at the everyday objects of the Victorian era.
Quietly amble through the elegant subtropical gardens with Weka, Wallabies and Peacocks.
Enjoy freshly roasted coffee and tempting treats at the Café, or take a short stroll to swim in the clear waters of sandy Lady’s Bay. It’s an easy walk to the lookout for spectacular views of the Coppermine.
The more active can relive history by following the Miners Track through bush and along the foreshore to the Coppermine itself (fun for the kids) or follow Redwoods Track over to School House Bay, experiencing native NZ bush with Tuis, Wood Pigeons and even Kiwis.
The Mansion House Cruise departs from Sandspit Wharf daily at 10.30am and leaves Mansion House daily at 2pm (also 4:30pm Sat, Sun & Public Holidays).
Super Gold/Tertiary Student Card Holders*: $52
Children 5 – 15 years: $34
Family Pass: $165 (2 adults + 2 children.)
* Tertiary student must have a current Maxx Tertiary Student I.D.
What to bring:
Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses, towel, fishing rod, snorkel gear, comfortable walking shoes, a light jacket depending on weather and a camera
Looking after the reserve
- Dogs and other animals are not permitted onto the historic reserve. These are a threat to the kiwi, weka and other protected wildlife.
- Do not light fires. They can easily get out of control and could devastate Mansion House and the forests in the reserve.
- Take your rubbish away with you. The reserve has no rubbish disposal facilities.
- Do not remove or disturb any artefacts or other historic remains.
- Do not camp in the historic reserve.
Non-compliance with these conditions may result in prosecution.
The Mansion House Cafe
Cafe opening times vary. Check by ringing the cafe: phone +64 9 422 8903 or Mansion House: phone +64 9 422 8882.
Please note : Entry into historic Mansion House has a Department of Conservation fee of $4.00 per adult, $2.00 per child. Children under 5 are free.
You are welcome to picnic on the reserve; there is a free gas BBQ available, outdoor tables in Mansion House Bay and further tables at strategic points in the reserve.